Wednesday, May 02, 2007

decisions

During the process of applying to Mars Hill, I told everyone that I didn't really need to consider making a decision about whether or not I would actually go until I got accepted. Well, I got accepted and now I have to make a decision.

I've been thinking that I would go and just figure out how to make it work with family, YWAM, and school. But the last few days I've really started to doubt myself--wondering if I'll really be able to handle the academic side of things. Not to mention the chaos I'll be inviting into my life by starting school. And things at work seem to continually get more complicated. We're in the process of re-vamping the DTS program and I'm a big driving factor in that process. We're also try to purchase a piece of property that will require some additional effort from everyone. By the time I went to bed last night I had convinced myself that going to Mars Hill was complete foolishness, and that I should put away my thoughts of going there.

Then today (of course) I receive a letter from Mars Hill in the mail. Here's a quote from the letter: "The toughest and most worthy decisions in life are those that merit the greatest time and thought." It talked about how one of Mars Hill's hopes for its graduates is that they'll be able to have a good cup of coffee with others... It was a really stark reminder of why I wanted to go there in the first place. I'm not wanting to go to get a credential, or for simply attaining a degree or something like that. I'm mostly just wanting to learn how to be a better friend, a better husband, a better father, and how to better interact with those God places on my path.

So instead of clarity I've been given the gift of haziness. I knew it couldn't be that simple...


On a purely unrelated note, I attended the Coachella Music and Art Festival over the weekend with two good friends. Here's the top bands that I saw:
1. Rage Against the Machine
2. Arcade Fire
3. Decemberists
4. The Frames
5. Willie Nelson (seriously)

Least favorite:
1. Regina Spektor

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie Johnson said...

I'm glad the frames were on your top five...although they should have been number one. i missed you at the maritime festival....we saw a coast gaurd emergency helicopter rescue.

4:57 PM, May 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home